Thursday 11 August 2022


 “You wouldn't be nicking anyone else's images; you'd be using your own.”

The shade of Roy Lichtenstein hangs over any art based on comics, but when my friend Pieter Gyr said I must create some big images based on my comic panels, I had to agree. I ordered some colourised prints of some of the panels to see how they would look enlarged. The result was quite pleasing.

From there it was a short step to using these prints as a basis for wall art, T-shirts, mugs, and the whole caboodle.

I considered which images to use. I could choose freely without treading on the toes of Irv Novick. Did I have a “Whaam!” or a “Drowning Girl”?

Well, I had a big, panoramic full-colour spread of a railway station seen from a plane which had always been a popular image.

Then an image of Susan's ennui as she begins her new job at the Reynal Import/Export Company in “The New World”.

Next, something sinister from Rational Control, the alien police force in the same book.

Monitor, of course, had to be included, in a similar frame.

My colleague John Parke, at the Salon of Infinite Possibilities, suggested using the semi-abstract design of the sun from the story, “Sunbuit” as an image, so that became one of the set.

And the cover of “Beware The Egg” has always been a striking sunset image.

The sun yet again from the Haiku-style story, “In and Out of The Sun”, with the ever-popular scene from inside the car as it drives across the mountain.

Then, another image of Monitor, where we are watching him, as he himself watches, looking from a window.

And finally, the striking cover image of detective Rosa Pleck from the book, “Torus”, which was planned to contain all the stories overlooked by Seth from “The New World” (but ended up with different contents entirely.)

So, did Roy get any money from sales of T-shirts?

#chrisreynolds #mauretaniacomics #comics #graphicnovels

https://10-chris-reynolds.pixels.com/art


No comments:

Post a Comment